Followers

Monday, June 3, 2013

Cookin' With The Deens Cajun Sliders And Twice Baked Cheddar Potatoes




     

I'm excited to post our first recipe for Cookin' with the Deens!  We decided to make the Cajun Sliders and the Twice Baked Cheddar Potatoes.  I'm sure I was not supposed to put cheese on the burger but I just cannot have a burger without cheese.  I LOVED the flavor of these burgers!  Although they are supposed to be sliders, I had regular hamburger buns that I did not want to waste.  I would definitely make these again.

The potatoes were easy to put together.  You mash them up with some low fat cheddar, Greek yogurt, skim milk and a little salt and pepper.


 

I thought these were okay.  I could taste a lot of the yogurt and not really anything else.  My kids liked them though!  They were very filling and I felt good to eat something that was not loaded with butter and sour cream. 

I can't wait to try another recipe from this book!  If you would like to join our group, visit Cookin' With The Deens to see how.

Cajun Sliders

6 ounces 93-percent lean ground turkey
6 ounces 95-percent lean ground beef (I used all beef and no turkey)
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, plus extra for the vegetables
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 8 strips
4 round onion slices (from one small onion)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fat-free mayonnaise (or use low fat; optional)
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
4 small sandwich buns

1.  Preheat the broiler.  Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

2.  In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning and hot sauce.  Form the mixture into four fat patties (a little wider than the buns).

3.  Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.  Cook the patties, covered, turning once, until the internal temperature reaches 165 F on an instant-read thermometer, 8 to 10 minutes total.

4.  Meanwhile, place the bell pepper strips and onion slices on the prepared baking sheet.  Season with a pinch of the extra Cajun seasoning and lightly spray with cooking spray.  Broil, without turning, until browned along the edges, 3 to 5 minutes.

5.  In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and mustard and spread on the inside of each bun.  Put a patty on the bottom of each bun, top with an onion slice and two strips of bell pepper crossed over each other, and cover with the top bun.

Twice Baked Cheddar Potatoes
Serves 4

4 medium russet potatoes
1 cup low fat grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt (or use low fat; optional)
1/3 cup skim milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
3 scallions (white and light green parts only) for serving

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Cut a slit on the top of each potato and lightly spray the skin all over with cooking spray.  Arrange the potatoes on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet and bake until tender, about one hour.

3.  Slice off the top third of each potato.  Scoop out the insides into a medium bowl and mash with the cheese, yogurt, milk, salt and pepper.  Return the potato shells to the baking sheet.  Scrape the mixture back into the potato shells.  Sprinkle with paprika and bake until golden, 20 to 30 minutes.  Top with the scallions and serve.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

laurie said...

i like both recipes! i don't have the book or I'd jounds fun!

Michelle said...

I agree the potatoes were not my top favorite and I didn't even use the Greek yogurt! So, what's next?

Reeni Pisano said...

I love the Deens recipes! Great picks! It's hard for me to eat a burger without cheese too! I would of done the same and would of used sour cream instead of yogurt - I'm so bad!

Eva said...

I love the idea of Cajun sliders and using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in the potatoes. Now I'm craving some Cajun food!

Alwayzbakin said...

Laurie, thats okay! thanks for the comment! You're not bad Reeni. That's my plan next time!! Eva, the burgers are really good. ;)

A.L.M. said...

Hi, I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes from 1 to 10.

There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

You are invited to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

You are able to see your stats:

-Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
-Number of votes received every day
-Number of votes received by each category
-Number of votes for each grade (1-10)
-Number of votes for each recipe.

You can watch how its works here http://www.fooduel.com/about.php

We would love that you participate with some recipe. Looks Amazing!

Best regards

http://www.Fooduel.com